28 February 2010

Send up a kite with the Nokia N900 and Brightkite


A few days ago I wrote a post about Foursquare, but Foursquare is far from the only location based social network service that you can use on the Nokia N900. When checking into Foursquare you are limited to public venues (I know that some people are adding their homes but that is not the purpose of Foursquare). With Brightkite on the other hand you have the opportunity to check-in at any address so that you can tell your friends that you are at home or visiting your grandmother. Brightkite gives you the opportunity to send your check-ins to Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Fire Eagle. Because Brightkite does not have the game element of badges that Foursquare has it is not as fun to use therefore I find that using Foursquare and Brightkite together is the best way to use these services, checking in with Foursquare when I'm at a public venue and checking in with Brightkite when I'm at a private location. As far as I know Foursquare are working on some way to allow people to add private venues to the service but until then I'll be using both services.
Since there is no Brightkite app for the N900 there are two ways to use Brightkite on the N900 the first is through the Brightkite mobile website and the other one is through the normal Brightkite website, since the normal website works perfect on the N900 that is what I'm using.

No comments: